As a car user, we know how frustrating and annoying the replacement of brake pads can be for you. What makes it annoying is actually not the need for replacement, but the time frame between replacements. Either you like it or not, if you drive every day, there is no way you can prevent your break from wearing off faster than expected.
Ensure you always create time out of your busy schedule to carry out a quick check on your brakes. The brake is a crucial part of the car and must be treated as such. To drive safely at all time, make sure your brake pads are always in good condition.
Cost of Replacement
To replace your car break, the cost isn’t fixed. There are several factors involved when it comes to the cost of replacing the brake of your car.
The following are the average cost of replacing the brake system of your car. We believe this will give you an idea about possible investment on brake replacement.
- The cost of replacing the brake pads and caliper rotors: These two components (brake pads and caliper rotors) cost between One hundred and twenty dollars ($120) to Five hundred dollars ($500) on the average. For instance, the brake pad as a component is not expensive in terms of the associated cost of purchase, what takes the load of the cash is the installation.
The price of a brake pad is affordable /pocket-friendly, where the problem lies, is in the cost of labor. During replacement, what takes the load of the time in the replacement of the calipers and pads is the rotor.
Apart from the extended time of replacement, getting a new rotor can as well throw your budget off balance. This activity increases the bill with some extra dollars which can amount to hundreds on many occasions.
- The associated cost of getting the brake master cylinder replaced: This is also another big job when it comes to the replacement of your brake system. One good thing about this component or part is that it doesn’t spoil easily. On many occasions, the changing of this part is always not frequent or regular.
In case a replacement is needed, the cost of getting a new one sits around three hundred and fifty dollars ($350) on the average. Sometimes, it extends up to a thousand dollars ($1,000).
Most times, a replacement of this component is as a result of poor maintenance of the brake pads and calipers. If you take care of your brake pads and calipers, the replacement of the master cylinder should not be a regular activity.
If you can take good care of your brakes and get the replacement when due, the master cylinder is not expected to suffer any form of major break downs.
- The cost of replacing the brake fluid: Whenever you get your master cylinder replaced, then there is a need for a change of brake fluid. On a regular basis, make sure you create time to check the state of the brake fluid.
You need to run a check on your brake fluid to ensure there is no contaminant, to top it up, and also get it changed when there is a need for it. The cost of purchasing brake fluid is affordable. In most cases, what you are paying for is labor and not the product itself. On average, brake fluid cost between sixty dollars ($60) and one hundred and twenty dollars ($120). Majorly, the cost of this product depends highly on who is going to handle the replacement for you.
It is important to know that the given prices are just estimates. This means your mechanic may go as far as charging you higher than what we have listed or quoted.
Reason for a rise in price is mainly as a result of other faults or other detected issues that are linked or connected to the brake system of your car.
Just as we have informed you earlier, the cost of replacement is not fixed, as this depends on various or several other factors.
Factors that contribute to the change in the cost of brake system replacement
The following are some of the factors that contribute to the cost of your car’s brake replacement.
- The quality of the parts you want to change: There are a lot of cheap brake parts available on several online marketplaces, but we would advise you not to fall for those heart melting prices. Instead, talk to your mechanic to get those faulty parts for you. From the experience your mechanic has gathered in an automobile over the years, they can easily pick out the brands or types of brake parts that are suitable for your car. The goal isn’t just about changing the faulty part. The goal is to get parts of great quality, the one that would last longer.
Remember, you will have to pay the price for great quality and the price is always on the high side.
- The type/model of car that you use: The prices of brake parts vary with the type/model of the car you use. If you are using a new model of a particular car brand, it is believed that you would get the affected brake part changed at a premium price.
For old models or average cars, you can get the affected brake part changed at an affordable price.
If you are using a car that is not really common, otherwise known as “a rare car” you would also have to pay a premium to get the parts fixed, and to also hire the service of a specialist to get the affected brake part fixed. With this type of cars, you have no option than to spend more than usual as a result of how difficult it is to find the spare parts.
- Your mechanic: Mechanics command different prices. The pricing approach is not the same. Apart from charging for labor, they as well go ahead to factor in the cost of running their day to day activities. So, you should always be up for a surprise on every visit to the mechanic workshop.